e-Pao! >> Books >>Status of Manipur >>>>Chapter 2
Article details


Chandrakirti Singh died in 1886. On his death, his son Sura Chandra Singh ascended the throne of Manipur. Sura Chandra Singh did not try to refuse the receognition accorded to him by the Government of India.

The above is the picture of the political status of Manipur on the eve of the outbreak of the Anglo Manipuri War of 1891.

Chandrakirti Singh died on the 19th May, 1886. He left eight sons by the six wives. Surchandra Singh, Kesorjit, Pakasana and Gopalsana alias Padma Lochan Singh were the sons by the first wife Angom Lokeshwari Devi. Surchandra Singh became king after the death of his father. Kesorjit held the position of Samoo Hanjaba.

Pakasana was the Sagol Hanjaba. Gopalsana alias Padma Lochan Singh was Phunganai Sanglukpa. Kulachandra Singh was Jubraj. He was the son by second wife Chongtham Lokeswari. Tikendrajit Singh was the Senapati. He was the son by the 4th wife Chongtham Bheemeswari Devi. Bhooban Kirti Singh was Doolarol Hanjaba. He was the son by fifth wife Haobam Rupabati. Lekharjit Singh alias Zillah Ngamba was the son by the sixth wife Akoijam Khandalekhee.

According to Mrs. Grimwood, Surchandra was Maharaja. Kulachandra was Jubraj Heir-Apparent. Senapati was Commander-in-chief. Samoo Hanjaba, Chief officer in charge. Angou Sanna, Officer-in-charge of Tammu Road, Pucca Sanna, Commander of the Horse and gilla Singh, A.D.C. to the Maharajah.

There was animosity between Pucca Sana and the Senapati Tikendra. The former was in the habit of giving annoyance to his brothers and any body who was against him. In this habit, he was able to get the favour of his eldest brother the Maharajah Surchandra. However, there was a gulf of difference in the personalities of Pucca Sana and Tikendra. Pucca Sana was not popular and as such he was disliked by the people.

On the other hand, Tikendra was not only popular with his people but also with other people from other parts of India. Pucca Sana meted out ill-treatment to the Dollairoi Hanjaba for going to the Senapati a few days before the 22nd September, 1890, the day of PALACE REVOLT. Dollairoi Hanjaba did not remain silent. He abused Pucca Sana for the treatment given to Dollairoi Hanjaba. Zilla once used a bugle when he went out after a tiger. Pucca Sana reported the matter to the Maharaja.

On the orders of the Maharaja the bugle was taken away from Zillah Singh. There was a reason for the anger to Zilla Singh with Pucca Sana. The Jubraj Kulachandra was acting as peacemaker. He was trying to prevent from an open rupture being taken place between the brothers. On the evening of 21 st September, 1890 Kulachandra went to the Maharaja and told him that Dollairoi Hanjaba and Zilla Singh wanted to apologize to the Maharaja the next morning.

The Dolairoi Hanjaba and Zilla Singh were afraid of being punished in the form of banishment or other way. They decided to revolt against the Maharaja. In the early morning of 22nd September, 1890 they attacked the inner enclosure of the Palace in which the Maharaja was staying.

The Maharaja did not anticipate any attack from Dollairoi Hanjaba and Zilla Singh as reported by Jubaraj Kulachandra. Zilla Singh climbed over the wall of the Palace with ladders and fired shots. Nobody was hit. The shots frightened the Maharaja so much so that he at once fled. The Senapati Tikendra was then in possession of everything.

The palace was strengthened for defence against any possible attempt at retaking it. Jubaraj Kulachandra also left the Palace. He was waiting there for the events. The attack on the Palace of the Maharaja took place at about 2 a.m. on the 22nd September, 1890. At about 2.30 a.m. the Maharaja along with his brother Pucca Sana with two or three attendants in a frightened state of mind reached the Residency of the Political Agent in Manipur.

Soon the other two brothers of the Maharaja Samoo Hanjaba and Phunganai Sanglakpa came to the Residency. The Political Agent advised Pucca Sana to collect a few men and try to hold the Palace Magazine till day break. Pucca Sana was not willing to do so. The Maharaja was accommodated in the Darbar room in the Residency.19 The Political Agent sent a messenger to the Officer Commanding at Langthabal.

Mr. Berkeley, the Officer Commanding arrived at the Residency with 25 rifles soon after the daybreak. He left 40 rifles at Langthabal to guard the stores, sick etc. The Senapati, Dallairoi Hanjaba and Zilla Singh were in the Palace and they were in possession of the four mountain guns. The Political Agent thought that it would be senseless action to retake the Palace when the three brothers were in Possession of the mountain guns.

The Political Agent summoned the Senapati to the Residency. The Senapati refused to come to the Residency on the plea that he was afraid of the Maharaja who was already in the Residency. The Political Agent then sent a letter to the Senapati urging him to reinstate the Maharaja. He promised that he would make an enquiry into the causes of Tikendra's disputes with Pucca Sana At the same time, the Political Agent came to know that there was no loss of life during the attack on the enclosure of the Maharaja.

In the afternoon of 22nd September, 1890, Mr. Berkeley, the Officer Commanding had started making arrangements for defending the Residency against a possible night attack on it By that time the number of Manipuris in the Residency Ground increased. There was possibility of creating confusion in the darkness if one of the Manipuris fired off his musket as during the night it would be impossible for the British sepoys to distinguish to which party of Manipuris he belonged The duty of the Political Agent was to avoid the confusion.

On the suggestion of Mr. Berkeley, the Political Agent directed the Manipuris especially those who had arms to leave the residency. The action of the Political Agency was not appreciated by the Maharaja. Being dissatisfied, the Maharaja told the Political Agent that his advice to the Manipuris to leave the Residency would be interpreted by them that the Maharaja had been imprisoned by the Political Agent.

This was immediately followed by Maharaja's expression of his wishes to give up the 'gaddi' and to retire to Brindaban as a devotee. The Political Agent advised the Maharaja not to take the decision hastily and he should wait till the next day. At the same time, the Political Agent also assured the Maharaja that he could defend his person with the British troops at the disposal of the Political Agent. Only the question was that the Political Agent could not at the moment assume the offensive against the Manipuri princes in the Palace.

In the meantime, the Political Agent sent a telegram on 22nd September, 1890 to the Chief Commissioner of Assam. The telegram informed the Chief Commissioner of the flight of e Maharaja following the attack made on his palace by his brothers on the night of 21st September, 1890. It also informed the Chief Commissioner of the possession of the palace by the revolting brothers.

The Political Agent sought the instructions from the Chief Commissioner the line of action to be taken by the Political Agent in that particular situation. He further informed the Chief Commissioner that he did not anticipate attack on the Residency at that moment from the Manipuri princes and that there was no loss of life during the flight of the Maharaja from Palace to the Residency on the night of 21st September, 1890.

The Chief Commissioner of Assam in reply advised the Political Agent telegraphically that he should protect the Residency, that he should try to mediate between the parties and that he should wire for troops to KOHIMA if necessary. He was also advised by the Chief Commissioner to defend himself and he should not assume the offensive without informing the Chief Commissioner of the reasons for the offensive.

The Political Agent could launch the offensive only after obtaining orders for such offensive from the Chief Commissioner. The Commissioner also informed the Political Agent that the Commanding Officer, Kohima had been authorised to send 200 rifles.

The Political Agent received the telegram of the Chief Commissioner in the evening of 22nd September, 1890. As soon as he received the telegram, the Political Agent sent words to the Palace saying that he would come and see the Senapati the next morning. The Political Agent also decided not to requisition the troops from Kohima till the interview with the Senapati took place.

The Manipuris numbering about 200 were given by any means accomodation within the compound of the Residency during the night. The Maharaja, his brothers and his ministers were lodged in the house of the Political Agent. The remaining Manipuris were given accomodation in the out houses within the Residency. The night of 22nd September, 1890 passed off without any disturbance.

On the morning of 23rd September, 1890 the Maharaja Sura Chandra finally decided to leave Manipur and go on a pilgrimage and settle at Brindaban. The Maharaja requested the Political Agent to arrange for the journey. The Political Agent made known to the Maharaja the fact that if he had finally decided to leave Manipur he could never return to Manipur, Cachar or Sylhet and that Pucca Sana must also go with him.

As for the other brothers, they might stay or not as they desired. The Maharaja then sent a letter to the Senapati abdicating the gaddi in favour of the Jubaraj Kulachandra. When the Political Agent went to see the Manipuri princes in the Palace, he found the Senapati and his brothers very pleased with the decision of the Maharaja.

The Senapati promised to make all the arrangements for the journey of the Maharaja and his brothers to Cachar in a proper manner. He also made the promise that those who wanted to stay in Manipur would not be molested. Jubaraj Kulanchandra who was about 8 miles away on the Cachar road had been sent for and on his arrival after 2 or 3 hours after he himself proclaimed Maharaja of Manipur.

Maharaja Surchandra, his three brothers Pucca Sana, Samoo Hanjaba and Gopal Sana together with several attendants numbering about sixty persons left Manipur in the evening of 23rd September, 1890 at about 7.30 p.m. They were escorted by 34 rifles of the 44th Goorkha Light Infantry for Cachar.


     Powered by: